- Operate the heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment, and clean, lubricate and refill equipment as necessary.
- Work with ground personnel in the excavation and installation process of laying pipe on line and grade.
- Ensure trench is excavated to the proper depth/grade.
- Responsible for placement of water, storm and sanitary sewer pipe in the excavation.
- Follow directions of ground crew regarding craning, gravel placement and grading.
- Cut grade with minimal time spent on excavating to ensure production is on schedule.
- Conduct trench work, which meets OH&S requirements.
- Operate equipment on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of ones surroundings.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
- Be aware of proper rigging of pipe, manhole barrels, etc. and ensure safe work procedures are followed during the lowering of materials.
- Train new employees in the safe and efficient operation of the Excavator/Hoe.
- Attendance required according to company attendance policy to ensure crew is able to operate at normal proficiency level.
- Follow all safety policies and PPE use.
Required Skills and Experience:
- One year of equipment operator experience.
- Knowledge of the safe operation of equipment used and the provisions of the Texas Motor Vehicle Code relating to operation of heavy motorized equipment.
- Skill/Ability to operate heavy equipment effectively and safely
- Service and make minor repairs on equipment applying safety standards to prevent hazards
- Maintain Texas driver’s license applicable to job responsibilities and good driving record.
- Complete and abide by all safety training and other provided training.
- Employee must be able to work without direct supervision.
- Must have strong verbal communication skills, ability to read and write.
- Dependability, reliability, fulfilling responsibilities, working independently and as a team.
- Cooperation, maintaining friendly and responsible relationships with co-workers.
- Strong work ethics of integrity and honesty striving for excellence in all activities.
- Conduct and behavior exemplifying company standards.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days of work are normally Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; however, evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Hours of work are determined by the supervisor based on deadlines set by the client.
Travel to the jobsites is expected for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to signal and handle equipment. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move anywhere up to 50-75 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. Must have the ability to quickly respond appropriately to unexpected events. This position may require long periods of standing and being subjected to adverse weather conditions. Consistently wear common protective or safety equipment such as but not all inclusive safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, and hard hats.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and equipment; outside weather conditions, rough uneven surfaces and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Paid Time Off
Longview Bridge & Road is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or related medical conditions) sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information or other protected class status or other characteristic protected by state or federal law.