- Operate the heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment, and clean, lubricate and refill equipment as necessary.
- Work with ground personnel in the excavation and installation process of laying pipe on line and grade.
- Ensure trench is excavated to the proper depth/grade.
- Responsible for placement of water, storm and sanitary sewer pipe in the excavation.
- Follow directions of ground crew regarding craning, gravel placement and grading.
- Cut grade with minimal time spent on excavating to ensure production is on schedule.
- Conduct trench work, which meets OSHA requirements.
- Operate equipment on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of surroundings.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
- Be aware of proper rigging of pipe, manhole barrels, etc. and ensure safe work procedures are followed during the lowering of materials.
- Attendance required according to company attendance policy to ensure crew is able to operate at normal proficiency level.
- Follow all safety policies and PPE use.
Required Skills and Experience
- One year of equipment operator experience.
- Knowledge of the safe operation of equipment used and the provisions of the Texas Motor Vehicle Code relating to operation of heavy motorized equipment.
- Skill/Ability to operate heavy equipment effectively and safely
- Service and make minor repairs on equipment applying safety standards to prevent hazards
- Maintain Texas driver’s license applicable to job responsibilities and good driving record.
- Complete and abide by all safety training and other provided training.
- Employee must be able to work without direct supervision.
- Ability to multi-task, good organizational skills, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Must have a strong commitment to jobsite safety
- Diligent in demonstrating safe work practices.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days of work are normally Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; however, evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Hours of work are determined by the supervisor based on deadlines set by the client.
Travel to the jobsites is expected for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee up to and over 2/3 of time at work. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and will frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Some equipment can be extremely heavy and will require a lot of strength to move or manipulate. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to quickly respond appropriately to unexpected events.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions, rough and uneven surfaces, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Paid Time Off
An Equal Opportunity Employer